Radio is a $45 billion per year industry, I didn’t know that. Francesco Baschieri created Spreaker to allow new entrants into this huge market – such as podcasters, and creators of radio shows – to present their content more professionally. Clear Channel, possibly the world’s largest radio programmer with 245 million listeners, partnered with Spreaker in 2013. They valued Spreaker’s web and mobile broadcasting tools allowing audio creators to connect and stay connected with their fans through live broadcasts. Also Spreaker’s content creators can have their shows promoted alongside Clear Channel (now IheartRadio) most popular talk shows.
In this episode we get into more details than normal, but even if you are not interested in podcasting, or creating audio content, there are some great takeaways here.
- Why at age 32 he left a senior position in his Italian company to start a new technology firm in Bologna, Italy
- How he thought about the process of selling his company
- Why and how he started his company in the USA
- Why the actual benefits of incorporating his company in the US were different than he thought (and much bigger!).
- Why an entrepreneur can create fast, partner fast, and grow fast in the US
- Why he returned to Italy while keeping his company US based.
- How 5 million monthly listeners discover and stay with podcasts hosted on Spreaker
- And of course, Francesco’s Italian secret sauce!